"A castle in the romantic Rhinevalley - inspired by poets and thinkers."
Welcome to the romantic Middle Rhine region
If you are looking for a romantic weekend, a hiking trip or a wellness break – the Romantik Hotel Schloss Rheinfels offers a large variety of possibilities to relax from your daily routine.
Our exposed location on a hill overlooking the famous Lorelei rock, as well as the perfect integration into parts of the historic Castle Rheinfels, has led to our four-star-superior hotel being counted as one of the top destinations for business and leisure travelers to this region, the UNESCO World Heritage Upper Middle Rhine Valley.
64 elegant rooms, suites and apartments await you in the Castle Hotel and the Villa Rheinfels.
Three restaurants will make your stay a culinary highlight. Our small pub „De Backes“ awaits for you with beers, wines, whisky and a coy atmosphere.
Relax in our Spa with different saunas, outdoor relaxation area and pool.
We offer various meeting facilities for up to 120 persons. The historic castle can hold events for up to 1.800 people. The historic cellar holds up to 250 persons and is a favorite location for weddings.
The Middle Rhine Valley has many attractions. Enjoy romantic castles, excellent hiking trails, fabulous fine wines and much more.
We will gladly assist you with your leisure planning in the Middle Rhine Valley
Your Romantik Hotel in the Loreley Valley
Our exposed location on a hill overlooking the famous Lorelei rock, as well as the perfect integration into parts of the historic Castle Rheinfels, has led to our four-star superior hotel being counted as one of the top destinations for business and leisure travellers to this region, the UNESCO World Heritage Upper Middle Rhine Valley.
The entire hotel complex, which includes the Castle Hotel, Villa Rheinfels and the apartment house, has been equipped with modern building technology and lovingly restored, with great attention to detail and in accordance with preservation orders. The special atmosphere of our romantic hotel is highlighted by exquisite antiques, paintings and fine touches.
Our 64 rooms, suites and hotel apartments have been stylishly designed by the renowned company JAB Anstoetz, individually tailored to meet the high standards the surroundings demand. Having implemented a design concept from the company INNOsenso, the hotel was one of the first in Germany to be certified as being either free of, or having low levels of electro-smog.
As well as the castle restaurant 'Auf Scharffeneck', with its winter garden, the cosy 'Der Landgraf' castle tavern with its Rhine terrace, and the traditional pub 'De Backes', our Romantik Hotel Schloss Rheinfels also boasts the gourmet restaurant 'Silcher Stuben'.
The Schloss Hotel has function rooms for every type of celebration. For large events we welcome you to Germany's largest vaulted cellar in Castle Rheinfels. In addition, the adjoining art nouveau villa comes with a spacious meeting area.
Rest and relax in our wellness area 'AusZeit' (Time Out) and enjoy sporty activities in our gym 'Folterkammer' (Torture Chamber).
The History of the Romantic Hotel Schloss Rheinfels from 1973 to today
- 1973 Launch of the Castle Hotel at Castle Rheinfels
- 1975 Establishment of the 'Ritterklause' as a nightclub
- 1977 Purchase of the Villa Rheinfels and the expansion to eight guest rooms
- 1977 Expansion of the Rhine Terrace
- 1979 Re-opening of the castle kiosks and the closure of the nightclub
- 1982 New Management: Mr and Mrs Ripp take charge
- 1982 Redesign of the hotel’s front entrance and a further extension
- 1983 Relocation and redesign of the reception area
- 1983 Basic renovation of the indoor pool and sauna
- 1984 Renovation of all hotel rooms in the castle and villa
- 1985 Dedication of the in-house BAR-BAROSSA
- 1986 Four additional hotel rooms in the villa – including the Tower Suite
- 1986 First landscaping of a castle garden
- 1987 Establishment of the first conference room in the Fireplace Room
- 1988 Establishment of the second conference room in the villa
- 1989 Construction of the roof covering the Rhine Terrace
- 1990 Installation of a lift in the villa and the addition of two new hotel rooms
- 1991 A facelift for all hotel rooms – Construction starts on the NEW VILLA
- 1992 Opening of the 'Villa Rheinfels Conference Centre'
- 1993 Inauguration of the castle tavern 'Zum Landgrafen'
- 1994 Addition of a meeting room to the conference centre
- 1995 Fundamental redesign of the 'Kanonenzimmer' (Cannon Room)
- 1996 Remodelling and enlargement of the kitchen
- 1997 Europe's largest vaulted cellar opened up to gastronomy
- 1997 Signing of the building lease (99 years)
- 1997 Planning application for considerable extension is filed
- 1998 Opening of the 'Outdoor Parks'
- 1999 Renovation of the restaurant and hotel room areas
- 2000 The new barbecue hut in the Reuschepark opens
- 2001 A facelift for the store and staff rooms
- 2003 Petra & Gerd Ripp acquire the entire castle grounds
- 2003 Renovation and expansion for 1.8 million Euros
- 2004 Redesign of the 'AusZeit' spa facilities
- 2005 Construction of a 'castle-latrine'
- 2005 Construction of the small bar 'De Backes'
- 2006 Exterior façade dressed with stone
- 2006 Opening of St Goar’s first coffee shop 'Café Antik'
- 2007 Construction of the conservatory and enlargement of the restaurant
- 2007 THE JUBILEE YEAR 'Gerd Ripp – 25 years Rheinfels'
- 2008 Renovation of the hotel rooms
- 2009Construction of the 'fitness-torture chamber' and expansion of spa facilities
- 2010 Expansion of the wellness garden with an outdoor sauna 'us ahl Wäschkich' and plunge pool
- 2011 Complete renovation of the kitchen
- 2011 Opening of the new gourmet restaurant 'Silcher Stuben' and the new 'Kanonenzimmer' library
- 2011 The last hotel room is renovated
- 2011 Opening of the new castle restaurant 'Auf Scharffeneck' and the 'Freiligrath' salon
- 2011 The façade is painted in the style of an Art Nouveau villa
- 2012 New seating for the world heritage terrace, as well as the opening of the Piacetto Lounge